TAKE YOUR PERMIT TEST AT THE DMV
Make an appointment at the DMV to take the written traffic law test. Pass the test and earn your permit (you must be at least 15½ to do this).
SCHEDULING YOUR PERMIT TEST: We strongly encourage you to schedule your permit test appointment at the DMV well in advance as you may find it difficult to find an appointment on your desired test date. DMV appointments often book up 2-3 months in advance.
You can schedule an appointment at the DMV by calling 1-800-777-0133 or online by clicking the following link: https://www.dmv.ca.gov/foa/welcome.do.
Please note: You will need the following when you go to the DMV to apply for your permit:
- DMV Form DL-400C (Pink Certificate) - We will mail this to you.
- DMV Driver License and Identification Card (ID) Application - This electronic application can be completed online before visiting a DMV field office or by using the touch screen terminals at the DMV office. Applicants under the age of 18 must have their applications signed by their parent(s) or legal guardian(s). If both parents/guardians have joint custody, both must sign. The electronic driver license application provides a section for parents to complete. More information on the electronic application is available at eDLapp.dmv.ca.gov.
- An official birth certificate (original or certified copy)
- Proof of California Residency - Parents must provide two (2) acceptable residency documents with current address (learn more about what documents establish California Residency here)
- Social Security Number (or Social Security Card, if applying for a REAL ID. Learn more about REAL ID.)
- Application fee (about $36)